TERINA FROM THE TABLE SET OF COUNT ALEXEI G.ORLOV-CHESMENSKY WITH THE IMAGES OF MILITARY ATTRIBUTES AND SCENES HONORING THE COMMANDER
According to recorded legend from the words of last owners Orlov-Davydovs, the table set was granted to Alexei G.Orlov by Empress Catherine II. It was ordered in the period between the battle of Chesme (1770) and the conclusion of the Treaty of Küçük Kaynarca (1774).More information...
This table set has a unique décor pattern that never was used in any other table set throughout the entire history of European porcelain. Each of the 102 surviving objects of the set (all are in the collection of SHM) is decorated with different subjects and types of art decor. Here are presented battle and genre scenes; hunting and animals; popular in the XVIII Century views of harbors; images of Chinese (scenery of "chinoiserie"); plots of paintings of famous French artists Antoine Watteau and François Boucher with shepherdesses and cupids and finally numerous variants of floral and ornamental designs.
In art decoration of the table set were used all designs and types of décor that were known at the Meissen porcelain manufactory in 1770. Actually this set is an implemented in the material catalogue of diverse types of designs and techniques of Meissen porcelain manufactory of that time.
Terina (bowl for soup or stew) is the key object in the porcelain table set of Count Alexei G.Orlov-Chesmensky.
The syrher of the owner is visible on each of the 102 items of the table set preserved in the collection of the Historical Museum. It consists of a monogram "GAO" (Count Alexei Orlov) under the Count's Crown and a black one-headed eagle (from the coat of arms of the Orlov family), enclosed in a blue ribbon with insignia of the order of St.Andrew (received by A.Orlov in 1769); the sypher is surrounded by gilded Laurel and palm branches. On the left under the crown is placed roman number "III" indicating that Alexei Orlov was the third son in the family.
After the death of Count Alexei G.Orlov-Chesmensky the set was inherited by his only daughter and heiress Anna A.Orlova-Chesmenskaya (1785–1848), and from her, by inheritance, to Vladimir P.Orlov-Davydov (1809–1882).
The table set was preserved as a family relic. In 1867, the set was listed in the inventories of paintings and other works of fine art from the Orlov-Davydov’s Otrada estate. There it was kept in the gala dining room, which was decorated with sculptural busts of all five Orlov brothers.
The table set was received by the State historical Museum in the 1920s from the Orlov-Davydov family. Collectors Orlov-Davydovs were descendants of Vladimir G.Orlov - the youngest of five Orlov brothers.